Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Friendly Game

Even though Fire and I have been practicing PNH for two years, I have not progressed as far as I had hoped. We got off to a good start and got through Level 1 in about 6 months. Fire is very intelligent and a quick learner. Initially, he is curious but frustrated when learning new things, until he finally gets what I am asking him to do. It is language issue. I am learning to speak horse and he is learning to speak human body language. Once he understands what I am asking him to do, he is willing to please and responds quickly. It is truly amazing how well you can communicate with your horse once the two of you develop an understanding.
I confess that I have not made much progress since December. My job consumes my life during the first 6 months of the year. I've spent a lot of time playing the Friendly Game at feeding time. That has really helped with our relationship, but I really need to get back to the program and learn more. I hope that this blog will motivate me to step it up. I have explored the beginning of Level 2 and the beginning of the Horse Behavior program. I am not sure which one to focus on first. The best thing is that I will be retiring at the end of October and will be able to spend LOTS of time playing with Fire!

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Hi Karen,
Here are the results from a Google Blog Search on Parelli - did you already know about all these? Looks like you'll have lots of bloggers to share and learn with. Hope you've had a good weekend. Marsha
ttp://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&tab=wb&ie=UTF-8&q=parelli&spell=1&oi=spell&sa=X

ps Cara has an iphone. And I don't think it is fair! Shouldn't there be a law about parents first.

Karen Lee said...

Thanks for the search results...I'll be sure to check them out. I keep whining about wanting an iphone but am getting no sympathy. At least we can say we know someone who has one! Tell Cara to stop by one day to show it to me so I can say I've touched an iphone.

Misty's Mom said...

I am here for you, girl! I started Parelli in January of this year and unofficially became a level 2 in March. I don't have the equipment to make my video yet. Then, school came down on me and I have been floundering to keep in touch with my equine friends. I keep a written journal and I am catching it up and starting up my studying again. Good luck with Fire. I look forward to hearing more, so you better write soon!

Tina said...

I attended my first Level 1 clinic (as an auditor) this past weekend. I'm a big fan of Clinton Anderson, and haven't yet decided if Parelli is the way to go for me and my Percherons. I'm excited to follow your progress, though!
playswithpercherons@hotmail.com