Friday, May 18, 2007

Fire

Fire is a 22 year old roan chestnut 14.2 hand Arabian. He was born and bred at Plum Grove Arabian Farms in Ocala, Florida. He was donated to the Boys Ranch in Palatka and was sold soon afterwards. I bought him from a friend of a friend who bought Fire and his half-brother Rath when they were young and in poor condition. She turned them around, trained, and showed both of them. Fire had a successful show career at an early age. I was looking for a horse for trailriding because my childhood horse, Champ, was very old and needed to retire. Fire's owner warned me that he would probably not be a good trailriding horse. She took him trailriding whenever she wanted him to blow off steam, which created a lot of bad habits. I was so impressed by his intelligence and push button training that it was love at first sight, so I bought him anyway. Needless to say, he is definitely not the kind of horse that you can sit back and relax with as you are taking in the sights on a trail ride. He might have been a trail class champion, but in the woods he's what my farrier calls a "booger hunter". He's always looking for something scary! And if I thought he was a handful at 5 yrs. old, he has definitely worsened with age. The older I get, the more I think twice about hitting the trail.

Now that I've learned how to read my horse, thanks to time spent studying PNH, I realize that I have a hot-blooded horse with a big play drive. He is very confident and easily bored. I am learning to understand him and continually work on our relationship. I have seen a remarkable change now that I'm learning to speak "horse"!

5 comments:

Mimi said...

I can't wait to read more. I have never had the opportunity to be around horses much but I have aways admired them. I'll look forward to learning more about your beautiful Fire. I will add you to the links on my page too.
Marsha

Mimi said...

I should always use spell check.
:)

Karen Lee said...

Thanks for teaching me to blog, Marsha. I love to learn new things and this is really fun and motivational. It is helping me find more time to focus on Fire. I can't wait until I can retire and do this more often!
Karen

Alyson and Ford said...

I jokingly comment to friends that I am one of the few kids who had two horses growing up and never asked for either one of them! As you might gather - I never learned to "speak" to my horse(s).

I have not heard of Parelli but look forward to being enlightened.

fm

Misty's Mom said...

Fire sounds great. I am glad that you ran into PNH and that it is working for you!