Sunday, January 24, 2010

Parelli New Year's Resolutions

My Parelli New Year's Resolution is to set a doable goal each month toward progress with my Parelli Natural Horsemanship.
My goal for Dandy is to work on the trails in the woods so we can eventually practice our driving skills while he gets exercise. I will work on the seven games with him and spend time leading him on the trails until he is ready to get back into driving again.
My goal for Fire is to continue with the Patterns program in the On Line and Liberty skills.
Since the weather has been frigid since the first of the year, this is the first week I have been able to spend time playing with the horses in 2010. They were both remarkably happy to get some one on one attention!
Dandy is doing very well leading with a lot of play in the line. He is making great progress on the Yo-Yo and Squeeze games. Next, we will work on Sideways and the Circle game...he HATES the Circle game. Dandy loves to play and craves the attention that PNH provides in his life.
I had a HUGE breakthrough with Fire today. Since I have been using PNH with my horses, Fire has become very aware of me when I come from the house and head outside. He often neighs and nickers to me, which is something that he never did in the 20 years we have been together. Even so, the only way I could get him to "catch me" at liberty was to badger him into following me. Imagine my surprise and elation when he walked in the pen on his own and followed me because he wanted to! I really wanted to make our play a positive experience because of this, so we did simple things at liberty just for the fun of it. He really enjoys liberty best!
Thank you Pat and Linda for sharing with us, so we all can share in the beautiful relationship that is possible between horse and man!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

It's wonderful to set goals! Setting goals has really helped me stay positive and excited on my PNH journey.